10 January 2014

What is holy food?

This past Sunday, I was sitting in the pews with my sweetheart at our new church. Like a true Wesley admirer, I am always happy for Holy Communion, which we celebrated this week. Being new to the United Church of Christ world, I've been listening very closely to the Communion liturgy.

This week, something jumped out at me.

One of our pastors prayed something like this: "As we consume holy food, let us become aware of  Christ's presence in the ordinary things of life"...(I know I have completely botched this).

I have actually been poring over the phrase "holy food" all week. Seems silly, right? But really, what is the point of  consuming this mysterious meal if we don't spend at least a few minutes pondering what we've experienced?

So.....beyond the Communion table, what is holy food? Could it be that it's more than just physical bread and juice? Could it be that it is more than any physical food? Could it be that which feeds our spirits and enables us to be servants to the world around us?

If so, I end this week of reflection on holy food with this conclusion:
Holy food is allowing myself to be nourished and loved by my sweetheart.
Holy food is taking time to rest when I am overworked and driving myself crazy.
Holy food is taking time to be thankful to God - everyday and in every circumstance.
Holy food is taking time to read the Scriptures.
Holy food is engaging in loving community- either my faith community or my neighborhood.
And yes, holy food is the Communion table, where I am reminded in new ways of God's grace.

Come now, for all things are ready.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment